Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

On 16/03/2011 17:50, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2011-03-16 09:19 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
>>    # If a shortened line box is too small to contain any further
>>    # content, then it is shifted downward until either it fits or
>>    # there are no more floats present.
>>
>> (And, yeah, "further content" here should probably just say
>> "content", as I think you've pointed out.)
>
> Actually, I'd be a little hesitant to make this change, since saying
> "further content" or now "content after the floats" covers up the
> ambiguity in float rule #6 that I mentioned in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0358.html

(There's no ambiguity, as I've just described in [1].  There's merely
sloppy/misleading wording in the 9.5 introductory text.)

Regarding "further content", please see [2,3].  However, I'd be happy
with something like your suggested
s/further content/content after the float(s)/

My argument against "further" is that it lacks a referent.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0394.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0181.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0053.html

Cheers,