RE: [CSS21] Computed value of top/right/bottom/left for position:static

From: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:21:26 +0000
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
On Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:34 AM Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:

> The "Computed value" lines for top, right, bottom and left all say "for
> 'position:static', 'auto'". However, when I specify e.g. 100px, Chrome,
> Firefox, IE and Opera all inherit that length instead. Also these tests assume
> that will happen:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/dynamic-top-change-

> 002.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/dynamic-top-change-

> 003.htm
>
> Either the spec or the tests would have to change.

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG has addressed your concerns in the upcoming publication of the CSS 2.1 specification[1].

The CSSWG resolved to  update the computed value for top/left/bottom/right to the following:

| Computed value: if specified as a length, the corresponding absolute
| length; if specified as a percentage, the specified value; otherwise, 'auto'.

We hope this closes your issue.

Please respond before 18 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS