Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:19:04 -0700
To: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
On Friday 2011-03-04 10:42 +0100, Anton Prowse wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 01:06, Bert Bos wrote:
> >(Issue 192 is tracked at http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-192)
> >
> >On Wednesday) 01 September 2010 21:19:56 Anton Prowse wrote:
> >>Also, as I've pointed out before, 9.4.2 (Inline Formatting Context)
> >>incorrectly says "Line boxes are stacked with no vertical separation"
> >>so that needs editing too.
> >
> >No, that remains true, even in the presence of floats. It may look as if
> >there is space between the lines, but actually the space is made up of
> >empty line boxes. (The space is always an integral number times the
> >'line-height'.)
>
> Woah, that's a completely different model to the one I have always
> assumed. You're saying that empty line boxes exist, stacked one atop
> the other.

Yeah, I think we discussed and rejected this option (stacked line
boxes) when we came up with the text in 9.5 which says explicitly:
  # If a shortened line box is too small to contain any further
  # content, then it is shifted downward until either it fits or
  # there are no more floats present.

(And, yeah, "further content" here should probably just say
"content", as I think you've pointed out.)

-David