RE: [CSS21] shaping newcomers contributions (was Re: cases that do not pass in any browser

On Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:28 PM Patrick Garies wrote:
> Apparently, I didn't send this to the list, so here it is again (slightly different
> since it didn't save to my "Sent" folder and I had to rewrite it as a result):
>
> On 2010-08-15 6:58 AM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> > For example, my understanding of the diagram just before section
> > 17.4.1 conflicts with the diagram's caption, but in section 8.3.1
> > (Collapsing Margins) I don't understand the intended meaning of some
> > of the basic relationships that everything is defined in terms of, so
> > it's hard for me to get as far as trying to apply that section's rules
> > to the situation to know the meaning of the caption and whether
> > there's a conflict or not.
>
> This is an error in the spec; the caption beneath the diagram is incorrect.
>
> During IE8 development, someone at Microsoft suggested removing the
> margin collapsing behavior between table and caption boxes. Everyone
> agreed to that and, thus, caption box margins no longer collapse with
> anything. They submitted a new diagram describing the new behavior, but
> whoever updated the spec apparently forgot to change the caption as well.
> The old diagram (that matches the current caption) can be found at
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/tables.html#model>.
>
> (I noticed this issue maybe half a year ago, but I never got around to
> reporting it.)

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG has addressed your concerns in the upcoming publication of the CSS 2.1 specification[1].

The CSSWG resolved to  update the diagram.

We hope this closes your issue.

Please respond before 18 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS