Re: document transition effect

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:11:19 -0700
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> CSS3 Transition defines how transitions are done over time, but only for
> properties inside the document.
> I was wondering if the same could be done for transitions between documents
> (like fade, display once complete, dissolve, etc...) could a pseudo-property
> be defined for that (if it is not already the case and I missed it).

I've designed a website with this sort of effect before, where the
client wanted the background to transition its color and the content
to fade out and then fade in with the new stuff.  I ended up just
making a single-page site and doing it all manually in javascript.

You can *partially* do it by setting up an animation that runs once
immediately on page load.  This isn't ideal, but in general you'll
need information from both the source and destination page to compute
the transition, which is part of the "progressive rendering" problem
that Simon brings up.