RE: [CSS21] 10.6.1, 10.6.3 and 10.6.7 - editorial issues

On Monday, August 09, 2010 4:06 AM Anton Prowse wrote:
> Issue 4:
>
> 10.6.3 (Block-level non-replaced elements in normal flow when 'overflow'
> computes to 'visible') says:
>
>    # If it has block-level children, the height is the distance between
>    # the top border-edge of the topmost block-level child box that does
>    # not have margins collapsed through it and the bottom border-edge of
>    # the bottommost block-level child box that does not have margins
>    # collapsed through it. However, if the element has a non-zero top
>    # padding and/or top border, or is the root element, then the content
>    # starts at the top margin edge of the topmost child. (The first case
>    # expresses the fact that the top and bottom margins of the element
>    # collapse with those of the topmost and bottommost children, while in
>    # the second case the presence of the padding/border prevents the top
>    # margins from collapsing.) Similarly, if the bottom margin of the
>    # block does not collapse with the bottom margin of its last in-flow
>    # child, then the content ends at the bottom margin edge of the
>    # bottommost child.
>
> The second sentence explains how to calculate content area height when top
> margin collapsing between parent and child is prevented by certain means.
> The second clause of the third (parenthetical) sentence explains the same
> thing, but with reference to even more restricted means.  The fourth
> sentence invokes "similarly" but goes on to explain how to calculate content
> area height when bottom margin collapsing between parent and child is
> prevented by /all/ means.
>
> This paragraph needs editing so that it treats the top margin collapsing case in
> the same way as the bottom margin collapsing case, namely by simply
> referring to the general situation in which parent–child top margin collapsing
> is prevented.
>
> Without this edit the spec is wrong – specifically, in the second sentence –
> since the parent element in question might have a first child with overflow
> other than visible (for example) and a positive top margin height.

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG resolved not to make these changes to the CSS 2.1 specification[1]. We determined that the current text is correct and there is no change needed at this time.

Please respond before 18 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS