RE: Question about run-in and floats

On Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:49 PM Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Consider the following testcase:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> What is the expected rendering?  I believe the agreed-on behavior for the
> run-in here was that the run-in should run in and the containing block for the
> float should be the div, but the section on 'clear' says:
>
>      The clearance of the generated box is set to the amount necessary
>      to place the top border edge below the bottom outer edge of any
>      right-floating and left-floating boxes that resulted from elements
>      earlier in the source document. [1]
>
> In this case the float is clearly resulting from "elements earlier in the source
> document".
>
> How do we want to reconcile these two things?  It seems to me that the
> definition of 'clear' needs to be modified, or the behavior of run-ins needs to
> be changed to not run in if that would cause floats to float out of them.

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG resolved to remove display: run-in from the CSS 2.1 specification[1]. We will be reevaluating this feature for a future versions of CSS.

Resolution to remove display: run-in from CSS 2.1 was covered in the meeting of 2011-01-26, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jan/0644.html

Please respond before 14 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS