RE: roadmap for new CSS specs: template, grid, regions and floats

I didn’t mention flexbox as it is already a self-contained spec, and everybody seems to be happy with that.

Certainly if somebody wants flex items to be regions it should just work, just as it should with a div anywhere else, right?

Optical alignment – I think when it is applied to justification it does belong to CSS Text. When applied to baseline it should be in the spec that deals with ‘line-height’. It would seem that CSS3 Line (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-linebox/) should be it, although I am not sure anyone is actively working on it right now…

From: Arno Gourdol [mailto:agourdol@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 11:01 AM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: w3c-css-wg; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: roadmap for new CSS specs: template, grid, regions and floats

Your proposal seems reasonable.

Where would Flexbox fit? It's conceivable that Flexbox could be used to do some layout that you would apply story threading to.

We have a couple of other elements to our proposal like text fitting and optical baseline alignment that would probably need to fit somewhere else as well. Maybe CSS Text?

– Arno  ❉  @arnog  ❉  Director of Engineering, Runtime Foundation