Re: [css-regions] Comments

On Mar 10, 2011, at 11:38 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> It is hard to tell who said what in this thread… I can comment though that I too is not a fan of the idea of using z-order to make decisions about text wrap.

Perhaps some new property then?

> This needs to be considered in the context of where these wrap decisions need to be made. I am assuming the main reason for wrapping is floats or page floats (even if simply rectangular the problem is the same).

I'm not convinced that is a safe assumption. Floats could certainly be one thing to wrap, but wrapping around absolutely positioned items make sense for the use cases too. In the presentation we saw at the f2f from Adobe, the cartoon coyote placement on the page seemed to be unrelated to it's position in the source. For fallback, I might want it to appear after the text.

> We will eventually (I hope soon) define page floats in more detail, what positioning is applicable to them and what flows they are allowed to affect. At that point I think the answer to this question will be obvious. And before that I am not sure we have a problem, or do we?

Not a problem, so much as just wanting to get some feedback into the process at an early stage. I'm saying that, for irregular shape wrapping, it would be a big disappointment to use source order alone to determine what will be affected by such a shape. I want to be able to have things wrap around an object even if it came later in the source, and I suspect that would be more compatible with the idea of some sort of round-tripping to InDesign.