[css3-text] sub-modualization

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 07:40:14 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
> 02:44:03 [howcome]
> The scope of this spec is very large, and goes to great depths in some areas, while shallow in others. I suggest splitting out the script- or language-specific issues into separate modules. This will also allow us to address other languages, like Mongolian, in the future.

I think you are right about the overall size of the spec [1]. If it was broken down into smaller chunks, then each one could advance independently, and some of it could probably get done quicker. I think one natural place to divide it would be to put all the wrapping/breaking/hyphenating stuff into one separate spec, and call it "CSS3 Text Breaking". That would include sections 4-7 (White Space Processing, Line Breaking and Word Boundaries, Hyphenation, and Text Wrapping).

The remainder could be broken into "CSS3 Text Aligning & Spacing" (which would also include "edge effects") and "CSS3 Text Decoration".

1) http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/