Re: a couple of questions on Flexbox

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com> wrote:
> Tab,
>
>    I have a couple of simple questions that the current Flexbox draft does
> not seem to answer:
>
> 1.       Are the first two values of the “flex()” function “numbers” or
> “lengths”, meaning in the latter case that they would be specified using
> “fl” units. I assume that they are numbers, but that is likely to produce
> some mental strain when, without the “flex()” function, the author specifies
> “fl” units and, with it, for the same purpose, he specifies numbers.

They're numbers.  I've removed the 'fl' unit entirely; since I
reordered the arguments to match Alex's desired ordering, it's now
trivial to achieve what the 'fl' unit did.  Rather than saying "2fl",
you just say "flex(2)".

> 2.       I find the characterization of “available free space” a bit too
> abstruse. I am not sure what “inner width” refers to as it is only used here
> and is not a box model term. I also find the characterization of “relevant
> length” to be confusing; just how are the “packing spaces” used in this
> comutation.

"Inner width" is a box-model term defined in CSS 2.1, in section 8.1.
It's synonymous with "content width".

Each distribution round details what lengths are used in it.  The
packing spaces, in particular, are used in the second distribution
round.

> What I am confused about is when and whether the packing spaces are used in
> the “available free space” computation so that having passes “1” and “2”
> make sense to me. (I do know that pass “2” is there to handle the
> “flex-pack” values.)

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about.  Could you
elaborate?  I'm glad to make things clearer. ^_^

~TJ