RE: [css3-writing-modes] auto logical width in orthogonal flows

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 01:58:58 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
> wrote:

> > horizontal-tb;'>
> >  AAA
> >  CCC
> >
> > I would like div B has (200px - the height of "AAA" - the height of
> "CCC") as the maximum logical width (height) in this case, but if I
> understand the current spec correctly, none of the options mentioned there
> give this behavior.

I believe we have discussed this on a number of occasion, including most likely the one that brought to "100vh" solution. It is tempting sometimes to take into account all surrounding (or at least preceding) boxes and use remaining available width or height.

The problem with using available space is that if it is the author's intent, the author can use explicit ways to define that (e.g. in the above example use two floats for AAA and CCC, or use a flexbox). But this default size is really targeted at underspecified, unintentional case, and there using available space will often produce unusable layout.

100vh though gives at a least a somewhat usable result, nearly always.