Re: Possible text-shadow enhancements

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:18:17 -0800
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Jordan OSETE <jordan.osete@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Regarding Brad's samples...
>    http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/text-shadows.png
> I'm curious which, if any, of the shape modification effects is literally equivalent to just using a larger font size.  For non-blurred text-shadow a spread that simply does "grow the font size" might be significantly cheaper on some platforms and yield most of the desired result.  Such an approach is also interesting in that it allows font authoring to have some control in how text-shadow is applied.

No, that wouldn't look right and wouldnt be close to the same at all, even if you adjusted the space between letters to make the length of the line of text the same. To get a 1px character stroke to be 3px wide (as it would be with a 1px spread), you'd have to triple the font-size (or close to triple). I think it would be pretty awful, honestly. And if you didn't adjust the spacing, the length of the shadow would get ridiculously long for longer runs of text.