Re: Possible text-shadow enhancements

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:57:00 -0800
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, Jordan OSETE <jordan.osete@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On Mar 2, 2011, at 10:41 AM, fantasai wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 10:31 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>
>> I don't see any good reason to disallow inset shadows. I think you can
>> create some nice effects with those:
>>
>> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/hello.png
>>
>> The bottom example has 3 inset shadows and one outer. The top one has
>> one inset and one outer.
>
> My concern is entirely about implementability. If we have implementations
> for the full <box-shadow> syntax, then I'm happy to leave that for
> text-shadow. Else, I would rather trim down the feature to what UAs are
> willing to support.

My point is that implementing 'spread' for text-shadow is entirely different to implementing it for text-shadow. For box-shadow, WebKit just inflates the rounded rect by the spread (possibly adjusting the corner radius in the process). There's no equivalent for text-shadow because the shapes are no longer just rounded rects.

Simon