W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > March 2011

Re: Possible text-shadow enhancements

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 00:27:21 -0800
Message-Id: <55DBC4B5-C96E-44F2-914C-DBA821F38EE4@gmail.com>
Cc: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, Jordan OSETE <jordan.osete@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:46 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:14 pm, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> The last row is a bit more whimsical and over the top. But it shows6 shadow layers. The topmost is an inner shadow with 1px of blur and 1px of spread. Under that are layers of outer shadows with spread but no blur, with each lower shadow using more spread (yellow above the red above the white above the green. One more layer of green below that has the same spread as the previous one, but also has offset.
> Is "spread" a knob in Photoshop that you can tweak?

Yes and no. A lot of the layer effects do similar types of things and you can often use one to simulate another. The drop shadow layer effect has a spread slider, but it is a percentage of the blur size, 0-100%, which is pretty frustrating to use when you want a lot of spread and not much blur. I was using the term loosely, not in a strictly Photoshop sense. 

> Is it documented what it actually does?

Something similar to what they call stroke (if you were stroking the shadow with the shadow color), which is not really a stroke the way it is in Illustrator. It's more like what they call a minimize filter, and that us how we had to do it in the old days, before newer versions could create a shadow and blur and spread in pretty much one step. I don't know the math of it. 
Received on Wednesday, 2 March 2011 08:28:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:38:44 UTC