RE: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:58:24 -0400
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:11 PM Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> The thread started on www-style and that is where I sent my message to,
> as I was discussing "css3-fonts" only. Again, this is not a complicated
> issue, just imagine a non-browser implementation of css3-fonts that has
> no inherent reason to emulate this browser behavior. Why should it be
> non-compliant if it does not restrict linking to fonts, or does
> restrict
> linking but does not support using "CORS" to lift such restrictions? If
> you can tell Glenn Adams and the rest of us on www-style, that would be
> far more helpful than telling us how huge your user base is.

I think the concept "consider users over authors over implementors over specifiers over theoretical purity" (http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#priority-of-constituencies) sums it up nicely. If one wants to put the interests of implementers _over_ users and authors - discussing concrete use cases and requirements would definitely help and should precede the formal objection, IMO.

Regards,
Vlad