Re: [css3-speech] :media-overlay-active

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:43:07 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On 28 Jun 2011, at 19:25, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Daniel Weck
> <daniel.weck@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The solution based on a CSS pseudo-class was rejected on the basis
>> that it
>> was impractical for reading system implementors.
>
> I don't understand what this reasoning means.  Could you elaborate?

-- Note that this statement does not reflect my personal opinion, I am
merely trying to relay ; as accurately as I possibly can ; the reasons
behind the consensus reached by the EPUB committee. --

Basically, some (but not all) EPUB reading system implementors within
the EPUB working group raised objections against the CSS pseudo-class
solution, on the basis that they wouldn't be able to easily implement
support for it, as it would require modifying the browser engine
(other regexp-based, content pre-processing "hacks" were deemed
unsuitable too, by the way).

The EPUB3 specification process is public, so here are useful
references related to this particular issue:

http://groups.google.com/group/epub-working-group/browse_thread/thread/f25b73459500a63d

http://groups.google.com/group/epub-working-group/browse_thread/thread/1eba33a3b544b6e2

http://groups.google.com/group/epub-working-group/browse_thread/thread/826af2152a60aa46

Regards, Daniel