RE: region intrinsic size and aspect ratio

The answer that intrinsic width and height of a region should be zero is based on the premise that there is no intrinsic size or ratio to use (qualification - I am only talking about regions that are part of a chain of regions).

The same reasoning when applied to replaced elements (like images) led to an choice of arbitrary default size of 300x150.

I think the first question to answer here is - are regions more like regular blocks or more like replaced?

Hyatt's logic is attractive because it if a region is a regular block, same sizing logic applies to any kinds of regions (chained or not). My concern is that 0 is not a useful default.

If regions are more like replaced however, "auto" width will become 300px, which is different from normal box model, which will either mean that auto sizing is less convenient, or that the 300px default kicks in a different point in box model calculations and we’ll have a new unique sizing algorithm.

Ideas? I can live with any of the above. I think I would prefer just consider linked regions just "replaced", because
 1) replaced block sizing is well defined
 2) unsized linked regions can only happen by mistake
 3) default non-zero size is more useful for fixing those mistakes

Alex