Re: New design for W3ís CSS website/blog

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:03:35 +1000
On 22/06/2011 2:37 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 2011-06-21 09:15 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Alan Gresley<alan@css-class.com>  wrote:
>>> I would be interested to know what Bert is doing. Viewing the CSS with the
>>> FF web developers toolbar and then closing it on Bert's reworking of Divya's
>>> design causes this.
>>> http://css-class.com/css-style.png
>>> I did send a private message with screenshot to Bert in December 2010 about
>>> a similar issue when closing FF web developers toolbar on the late 2010
>>> design.
>>> http://css-class.com/css-current.png
>>> Both pages show overlapping of elements and dropping of elements is just so
>>> wrong. Also, diagonal lime and orange technicolor stripes may not give
>>> someone confidence in using CSS.
>> That is a supremely bizarre bug with Firefox and/or the Web Dev
>> toolbar.  It has nothing to do with the site or Bert.

Remember it's not Bert. It's the code that Bert tinkers with. I have
much admiration for Bert.

> I'm not sure what Web developer toolbar you're talking about, but by
> appearance it looks like what happened is that something enabled all
> of the alternate style sheets for the page simultaneously.  (The
> diagonal orange/green stripes are in the "Draft 2" style; the red
> border is in the "Draft 3" style; the multi-column layout is in both
> the "Cascade" styles.)
> -David

Good to know where the styling is coming from, thank you David. It's
Chris Pederick Web Developers Toolbar. Way to reproduce (always

1. Open page [1] at any size (screenshot with full screen on 1920 x 1080
res device) in Firefox (version 4 but has happened in version 3.6).

2. Open the edit CSS tool in the Web Developers Toolbar and then close
it (this can also happen in another tab for a different page and closing
the Web Developers Toolbar and returning to the home page).

The only way to get rid of it is to refresh or open the home page in a
new tab. I have only seen this happen on two pages ever (both the home
page of www-style).

I just wonder if multi-column is ready for the prime time since this is
what seems to collapse to cause the overlap and dropping.

I could debug it. I'm good at that but my CSS using multicol is almost
non existent. The layout can be done using a float layout.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

Alan Gresley