Re: [css3-images] Summary of recent gradient issues

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:05:46 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, divya manian <divya.manian@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Brian, Brad, this isn't productive.  Could we stop?

Here's the deal.  The keywords *will* change in some way.  Whether
that means changing them to something else, adding something to make
them explicitly directional, or dropping them entirely, I'm not sure
of quite yet.  But at this point the meaning of the first gradient
argument is such that it's unclear whether a point is supposed to be
the start or the end, and that's a bad thing.  This is unrelated to
certain other properties, like vertical-align, as they don't have the
start/end confusion.

It's that confusion that's getting me.  I dislike *all* APIs where a
directional keyword can be legitimately interpreted in opposite way,
because I've been confused by them too often.  Informal, small-sample
polls have confirmed that the confusion exists.  I will fix it.

~TJ