Re: [css3-images] Summary of recent gradient issues

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:51:05 +0900
To: "Simon Fraser" <smfr@me.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Brian Manthos" <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
> I think "upwards rightwards" and "rightwards upwards" are both fine.
>
> What I took issue with was "bottom left" meaning "upwards rightwards".
> I was fine with "up right" meaning "upwards rightwards".
>
> Compass directions* would be simplest, but that would apparently incur
> issues with globalization as per prior mails on this topic.
>
> * N=0deg, NE=45deg, etc.

Compass directions don't work, because as you said NE means 45deg, but
"upwards rightwards" does not mean that. It means towards the upper-right
corner of the box. That is only 45 degrees when the box is square, and the
whole reason we need these keywords is to be able to point towards the
corner of non-square boxes.

  - Florian