RE: [css3-images] Summary of recent gradient issues

Brad Kemper:
> On Jun 16, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I think "upwards rightwards" and "rightwards upwards" are both fine.
> >
> > What I took issue with was "bottom left" meaning "upwards rightwards".  I
> was fine with "up right" meaning "upwards rightwards".
>
> If we have to make it more explicit, I'd prefer "from bottom left" or "from
> bottom-left" or "to top-right", etc. over "upwards rightwards". It's fewer
> characters, simpler words, and seems "cleaner" to me.

I'm not a fan of "vertical first" because it has other problems, but that's another discussion for another day.  I've been holding off on raising that issue with the WG for now, though I've discussed it in some depth internally.

As such, I strongly prefer the grammar...
	to [[left | right] || [top | bottom]]

versus...
	to [top|bottom]-[left|right]

More specifically, keep the separator between endpoint keywords as a space rather than a hyphen and allow either order (for horizontal / vertical keywords).