Re: [css3-images] Summary of recent gradient issues

On Jun 16, 2011, at 3:30 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> Or rather,
>>
>>  Given linear-gradient(left, black, white), which side would you expect to
>> be black?
>
> Given my conclusion #1 (by themselves, keywords are intuitively
> understood to be starting-points), I doubt this would give us a useful
> answer.  I don't think the keywords are confusing by themselves, I
> think they're confusing because they're inconsistent with the other
> way to specify gradients.

But the way you asked it implies a relationship between the keyword and angle that some of us do not assume. By framing the question that way, you akkready set up that relationship in the minds of the respondents. It can bias the answers.

I would ask it the way fantasai asked, and then also ask, "Given linear-gradient(0deg, black, white), which side would you expect to be black?" if the same person answers both, separately then you can see if they Consider the second question linked to the first as strongly as you and Brian would.

Also, I don't think twitter is going to give you a suitable sample size of responses. I'd like To see the question on survey monkey where each question is on it's own page, in that order, and then advertise the poll in more places (this list, CSS.info, several twitter accounts, ALA, blogs, etc).