Re: [css21] is 'initial' a valid counter name?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:54:31 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> ·         ‘initial’ was not a keyword in CSS2.1. Was it a forward-looking
> extension? Is it still relevant?

'initial' has been useful for me in the past.

> ·         How normative is the CSS2.1 text? Does it actually mean that the
> value is invalid, or is it just discouraged?

It uses 'must', so it's a normative requirement.  Unfortunately, it
appears to be author conformance criteria, as there is nothing
specifying what implementations should do if authors *do* specify a
counter with that name.  (The Lists module *does* specify this as
implementation conformance, by stating that it makes the
@counter-style invalid if you use one of the reserved names.

> ·         Should ‘initial’ also be invalid for flow names, in addition to
> ‘none’ and ‘inherit’?

Yes.