Re: [css3-lists] Recent changes, and request for new WD

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:10:56 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 2011-06-14 13:58 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> > I much prefer 'display' rather than 'position' (though we
>> > really never should have had 'position' in the first place).
>>
>> I boggled when I heard this at the FtF.  ^_^  position:absolute is too
>> weak in CSS2.1, and thus of limited utility, but positioning in
>> general is a good thing that is useful.  It's just an alternate layout
>> model that can operate simultaneously with other layout models.
>
> Ignoring the merits of absolute positioning, I think it should have
> been display:absolute rather than position:absolute.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood the objection.  That makes perfect sense.
(Assuming you split display, so that's actually a display-outside
value.)

Given the current state of the world, though, doesn't it make more
sense to keep using 'position'?  It's effectively the same thing,
since you just compute to "display:block".

~TJ