Re: [css3-lists] Alignment of list markers

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:15:54 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2011, at 9:42 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are two values for list-style-position: 'inside' and 'outside'.
>> Their primary effect is changing where the ::marker is placed in the
>> element-tree.
>
> I'm with you so far.
>
>> 'outside' also tweaks the default value
>
> Do you mean computed value?

No, I think it's valid to have a property on the superior parent
modify the initial value of a property on the pseudo.

If not, then yeah, I'll somehow phrase it as tweaking the computed value.

>> of a few
>> properties on ::marker,
>> including making it "position:marker".
>
> OK. That bit of magic wasn't clear to me before. I had thought "position:marker" was just to move arbitrary elements into marker position.

It is.  Did you accidentally read the implication in the reverse
direction from what I wrote?  "position:marker" moves things into
marker position.  "list-style-position:outside" makes the ::marker be
"position:marker" initially.  In other words, outside ::marker pseudos
use the generic "position:marker" mechanism to position themselves.

>> that list-items happen to possess (modulo the
>> few places where 'outside' tweaks default property values).  This
>> seems elegant and minimally invasive, which hopefully means that it
>> should be easy to understand too.
>
> OK so at least I understand you better now. However, "new positioning scheme based on how markers are typically positioned" doesn't sound significantly less magical than "outside marker content has a containment block that is the box where markers are typically positioned".

The significant difference is only that you can't easily use abspos to
emulate outside-marker positioning in the presence of floats.  Without
floats, you can get pretty close, as you demonstrated.

~TJ