Re: [css3-lists] Alignment of list markers

On Jun 9, 2011, at 9:34 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:39 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> On 06/08/2011 04:28 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> Indeed.  'inside' list markers are just inline-block elements, and
>>
>> Why are they inline-blocks instead of inlines? That does not make
>> much sense to me.
>
> I think I just made the choice fairly arbitrarily.  You can't tell the
> difference currently, because you can't make a marker that would
> line-wrap.

This statement surprises me a lot. Why wouldn't it wrap if I had this:

::marker { display: inline-block /* or block or table-cell */; width: 2em; } /* assume spaces in marker text, or else 'word-break: break-all' or that breaking after decimals is part of 'word-break: normal' */

> I don't see too much wrong with making them inlines.  They'll still
> act properly when positioned with 'outside', so sure.

Cool. That is less magic than having 'position' also change the initial 'display' value, right? (floats are magic in that regard).