Re: Comments on CSS Exclusions

Hi Daniel,

On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> I have read the whole document and find the way exclusions
> are defined in a document a bit complex. Just looking
> at exemple 1 in [1], I am almost clueless about the mechanism
> used to position precisely the circle inside the content div.
> It seems the exclusion element is almost relatively positioned
> but I don't really understand the whole thing.
>
> Furthermore, because positioned elements are explicitely
> excluded from the algo, it's going to harm page layouts
> based on positioning - and there are zillions out there.
>
> I think I have another model in mind, probably simpler for
> web authors, but it's pretty hard to explain w/o a whiteboard...
>
> 1. I think the wrap-shape and wrap-shape-image properties should
>    apply to all ancestors of an element but never cross position
>    property boundaries.
>
> 2. that way it's applicable to fixed/absolutely positioned elements
>
> 3. that way, an element CONTAINS the elements defining its exclusions
>    area while in the current proposal they can live outside of it
>    and I have the feeling web authors will choke on that because of
>    very complex positioning...
>
> 4. the wrap-shape-image would show the image as a background above
>    all existing backgrounds of the element and "clearing" what's
>    inside the exclusion area (modulo the wrap shape paddings)
>
> I have no idea if that's clear or not, sorry. Vincent, if that's not
> maybe we can arrange a conf call together so I can explain better ?

Yes, I think a discussion would help understand your concerns about the exclusion proposal and also understand your proposal better.

Also, we decided during last F2F to merge the css3-exclusions proposal with the css3-floats proposal from Alex:

http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/css3-floats/

That you may be interested in looking at too.

Vincent