[css3-speech] :media-overlay-active

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:12:25 +0900
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The EPUB3 spec includes the definition for a pseudo-class to select elements
that are active during speech playback:
   http://epub-revision.googlecode.com/svn-history/trunk/build/30/spec/epub30-mediaoverlays.html#sec-docs-assoc-style

There's some ongoing discussion in the EPUBWG about prefixing the pseudo-class
name or using a reserved class name instead of a pseudo-class, etc.
   http://groups.google.com/group/epub-working-group/browse_thread/thread/1eba33a3b544b6e2

Their spec's a little underdefined, imo, but I thought such a pseudo-element would
be something for the CSSWG to consider, particularly as an addition to CSS3 Speech.
The state should propagate up to ancestors, so that you can choose, for example,

   p:media-overlay-active { outline: solid yellow; } /* ugly example for demo purposes */

I'd suggest coming up with a less awkward name, though. :) (Maybe :playback-active?)

~fantasai