RE: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

[Philippe Wittenbergh:]
> On Jun 9, 2011, at 8:07 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
>
> > From: Brad Kemper [mailto:brad.kemper@gmail.com]
> >> But anyone
> >> using the keyword 'left' knows that it means 'from left to right', or
> >> they find out within seconds and then move on.
> >
> > I disagree completely on this point.  I constantly find this backwards
> notation a stumbling block.   The reason I raised the issue is because I
> don't want to just "move on".  The spec is broken and inconsistent, and I
> thought the goal of having drafts at all was to address such things so
> that the future can be better.
> >
> > Using that argument we might as well call it "foo" because "people will
> just learn that foo means that it progresses from left to right".
> >
> > Honestly, I think that would be better than using "left" to mean the
> exact opposite of "leftwards".
>
> I always understood the keyword(s) to mean the starting point of the
> gradient, mimicking what keywords do for background-position, or for -
> maybe a better example- the keywords for positioning ('left' meaning
> 'build a block from the top left corner of its containing block' or pin a
> block on the left edge of the containing block and build/expand from
> there).
>
> Those keywords also mean, in my understanding, that is where I'll see the
> first specified color of the gradient.
>
> The original WebKit implementation meant as much, although in a much more
> verbose way: 'from left' etc.
> I don't think I'm the only stylesheet author reading it that way.

There is no argument that something that explicitly says 'from left' is less
ambiguous than just 'left'.

It's important to note here that we are not just talking about static gradient
backgrounds but the animation of their value. It turns out there are number of
issues in those scenarios, of which this is one.