[CSS2.1] Column property limitations

From: Jack Smiley <zxcv_890@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:13:57 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,
Referring to section 17.3, I would like to know why the spec limits to only 4 (border, background, width, and visibility) the number of properties that can apply to the col and colgroup elements. What is the rationale/advantage to this limitation. It means that if I want to style a particular column with a particular font-family, for example, I have to resort to the cumbersome selectors:

#tableid tr > td:first-child
#tableid tr > td:first-child + td
#tableid tr > td:first-child + td + td

etc...