Re: [css3-speech] voice family prohibition of spaces

From: Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 14:15:36 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com>

On Jun 4, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com> wrote:

> If we want to stick to this rule, is it within the remit of the CSS spec to suggest replacing spaces with underscores?
>
> E.g given a name Bruce_2 a UA should first try to locate a voice called literally Bruce_2 and then if that fails "Bruce 2".

Actually, no that would be silly. The UA should replace all whitespace in the names of all tge installed voice names with _ and then match.

I realize specifying the algorithm is overkill but if we don't address this somehow there's the possibility some voices can't be used, which would be intolerable.