Re: Inline elements should be affected by 2D Transforms

On 3/06/2011 1:33 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2011, at 7:56 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:
>
>> On Jun 2, 2011, at 6:27 AM, Brian Blakely wrote:

>>> Restored support for inline elements should follow an analysis of
>>> current implementations, and either a single implementation is
>>> chosen as the standard, or an amalgam that optimally satisfies.
>>
>> The problem is that there isn't an implementation that makes
>> sense.
>>
>> Consider an inline element split over 2 lines, with a rotation
>> transform. What do you expect to happen?
>
> I would expect the two lines to rotate as though the transform was
> applied to their bounding box, all without disturbing any of the
> content outside the span.

So how many things need to be checked. Would you want transform-origin
[1] to work with rotated inline elements split over 2 lines?

   TL---------T---------TR
   L----------C----------R
   BL---------B---------BR

Split 1:

   TL---------T----
   L----------C----
   BL---------B----

   -----TR
   ------R
   -----BR

Split 2:

   TL----
   L-----
   BL----

   -----T---------TR
   -----C----------R
   -----B---------BR

The wider the containing block, the more this goes crazy.

Split 3:

                            TL----
                            L-----
                            BL----