Re: CSS Hierarchies / Selector Nesting Proposal

On Jun 2, 2011, at 8:06 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 6/2/11 10:36 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> Why? It looks clear enough (and eminently parse-able) to me to do this:
>>
>> foo {
>>  &  bar, far, :hover {
>>    prop: val;
>>  }
>> }
>
> Is it clear and parseable enough to allow:
>
>  foo {
>    & > bar, > far, ~:hover {
>      prop: val;
>    }
>  }
>
> ?

I would say so (it seems unambiguous), but I've never written a parser. I am assuming that the purpose of the "&" is so that you don't start trying to read 'bar' as a property and then kick into error handling mode when there is no colon in the right place. But once you have it starting the line, I'd think you'd be into 'inner selector' mode and proceed from there. But if you disagree, then I am interested in hearing why.