Re: [css3-regions] New CSS Regions editor draft

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 16:53:37 +1200
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>wrote:

> We are going to have variable-width regions, and it will be common. What
> aspects of content pagination we need to have clarified or defined in order
> to be able to have interoperable implementations of a usable set of
> important use cases?

That bar is too low. If we have interop on a usable set of important use
cases, but no interop on a large set other important use cases, we will have
created a large problem for Web authors.

I hope that the days are behind us when we could just bang out a feature
that works in some common cases and leave a lot of its behavior undefined.

 Once we come up with a list that needs to be resolved, we can decide what
> spec it should be in. I personally don’t see any problem implementing CSS3
> Regions and CSS4 Paged Media together if it is what it takes to render
> content that we all care about.

I don't, as an implementor, but it seems weird for a CSS3 spec to only make
sense if you implement a CSS4 spec as well ... just from a version numbering
point of view.

Rob