Re: [css3-lists] Published as WD!

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:35:00 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

On Jun 1, 2011, at 2:21 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Section 9.1. lists Predefined Repeating Styles
>
> It's nice to see how to create simple one-glyph lists. I suggest
> keeping the list-style-types defined in CSS 2.1 in the list of
> predefined styles (circle, disc, square), but not add new predefined
> counter styles. For example, I don't think 'check' should be
> predefined. Different languages/traditions use different marks in
> check boxes. And if people want to use 'check' to see '✓', they can
> easily add it themselves.

Checkmarks seem like they would be a pretty common need. I think it would be nice to have them pre-defined. But maybe we can loosen up the strictness to allow UAs to localize the mark used.

If the predefined types are not included, the UA is still free to define its own in its own UA style sheet, isn't it? So if we don't predefine common useful types, the result might be more differences between UAs for those. Or is there going to be a requirement for UAs to NOT define their own types within their UA stylesheet?