Re: [css3-regions] New CSS Regions editor draft

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:12:50 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I fully agree it is important to have a precise page breaking spec. I don’t
> see however why regions progress has to be blocked by it. As of today, page
> breaking behavior is very underspecified, pretty much any non-trivial issue
> produces 12 different results in 4 major browsers.
>
> CSS Regions spec defines how to describe a set of containers for content to
> flow through. That definition can be solid without any new details on how
> content is broken between pages. It can even apply to non-css content (why
> not SVG? Or PDF?).
>
> What is currently in Regions spec is trying to define more that this spec
> has to define… What I think it should  have is define meaning of each type
> of content break within region flow, and stay away from trying to advance
> paged media spec at the same time.

I think you're missing roc's point.  You *cannot* interoperably
implement Regions without defining how to render blocks that flow
across regions of different widths.  It so happens that this exact
same problem is present for elements that flow across pages.  This
just means that we should solve the Regions problem in a way that is
usable for Paged Media as well (and, presumably, for Multicol too, if
we ever gain the ability to have columns of varying widths).