Re: [css3-text] ED reviewed

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:18:17 -0700
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 5/31/11 12:36 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> 9.1, 9.2
>
> These properties adds min/max settings on existing knobs. I'm unsure
> of the value this provides. In order to justify text, implementations
> may have to make the word-spacing wider than the maxium. So, why set a
> maximum?

There certainly will always be instances where content will not fit the
spacing controls, particularly if the min and max values are close to the
optimal value. But reasonable ranges (and better hyphenation) will usually
result in multiple valid line breaks. Having the min-max range lets you make
better decisions on what line break to choose.

If you only have optimal, then spacing will always increase for lines that
do not work with the optimal spacing. Justified text will almost always be
too loose, which is the current situation in my experience.

If you have min and optimal but not max, then you will be able to choose
some better line breaks that are tighter than optimal, but you will not be
able to choose a line break that is has just slightly larger spacing than
the optimum over a line break that has the tightest possible spacing. This
would produce the largest variation in spacing between lines.

If you have optimal, min *and* max then you can choose between a larger
range of line breaks, and pick the break that is closest to the optimal
value. This should result in the most even spacing possible when choosing
breaks a line at a time.

Alan