Re: [css3-lists] [css3-speech] Purpose of the module

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:45:06 -0400
To: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, please review this new section:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#lists

> decimal
>    This list item style corresponds to numbers beginning from 1. These numbers are spoken as-is by the speech synthesizer, in the user's language.

<user's language>

> lower-latin, lower-alpha, upper-latin, upper-alpha
>    These list item styles correspond to ASCII alphabetical characters (e.g. [a, b, c, ... z] or [A, B, C, ... Z]). They are spoken as-is by the speech synthesizer, using the document language.

If the list goes a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z,
and the document language is Japanese, Arabic, Hebrew, Indic, or
anything not Latin, I don't see how this works.
I suppose the simplest case for discussion is Greek which has 'A' and
'B' but not 'C'...., it isn't technically a Latin derivative but it's
close enough.

I'm not really sure it's a good idea to have lists which are using a
fixed element set be read differently document to document based on
document language when numbers aren't.