Re: [css3-lists] Published as WD!

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> I'm actually skeptical about the usefulness of 'hanging', and
> prefer 'outside', assuming it has reasonable float-impact behavior.
> I can't think of a use case for it, other than backwards-compat with
> default HTML list styling.

More precisely, "backwards-compat with default HTML list styling in
Firefox, Opera, and older IEs".  Newer IEs and Webkit render lists in
ways that are closer to 'outside'.

The float-impact behavior is the same as it's always been - if the
text is up against the float (and the float is outside the list-item),
an outside/hanging marker will overlap the float.

> The ability to match the ::marker's direction to that of the parent
> element (rather than the list-item element) is important. However,
> I don't think the layout model should be conflated with this particular
> issue.

Do you mean that you think it should be controlled by some other
property?  I don't know if I agree - for example, an inside marker
necessarily pays attention to the list-item's direction.