Re: [css3-images] Premultiplication switch (was: gradient pre-multiplied interpolation)

From: Leif Arne Storset <lstorset@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:06:32 +0200
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> skreiv Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:49:14 +0200

> On Jul 27, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I meant an example usage, but that's good enough for now.
>>
>> I'd rather see the interpolation specified in the gradient
>> specification itself.
>>
>> Doing it as part of the gradient itself would allow for varying the
>> interpolation mode across layers of a background-image specification,
>> whereas doing it as a separate property wouldn't allow that.  Unless of
>> course you want to make color-interpolation a layered property as
>> well...
>
> That strikes me as a very good point. An author who who wants this level
> of control over whether or not to premultiply might also want to control
> it on a background layer by background layer basis.

Then again, if the author knows enough about premultiplication to care, he
or she (or the editor) is probably knowledgeable enough to just code
everything unpremultiplied. (As I far as I can see premultiplying is only
done so authors can use the intuitive "transparent" keyword - it doesn't
enable any additional effects.)

--
Leif Arne Storset
Core Technology Developer, Opera Software