Re: [cssom] Unrecognized - request for more information

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:36:21 -0700
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
Regarding unknown things that look like rules, WebKit parses and keeps
those things around and only filters for the recognized stuff later.
This is done so our Inspector can usefully flag invalid values for the
author.  So, it wouldn't be difficult for us to expose them.

However, I wouldn't actually want to do so.  Allowing authors to
innovate in property names and values means we'll have much greater
compat risk when we introduce any new properties or values.  It's
always possible for them to do so (for example, by XHRing the
stylesheet and parsing it themselves), but keeping it slow, expensive,
and difficult limits the spread of those methods.

The idea of a web-* set of user-defined properties, though, seems
totally fine.  That cordons off the potential damage into a space that
we can easily avoid in the future.

Similarly, I don't think we should expose things that don't look like
rules either, for the same reason.

~TJ