Re: [cssom] Unrecognized - request for more information

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:37:21 -0700, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
wrote:
> It seems that toward the end of 2009 Mike Wilson asked for a rationale
> as to why the ability to access unrecognized/dropped rules via CSSOM was
> dropped:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0285.html
>
> There are currently several projects and shim libraries in exactly the
> situation he describes in his defense for retaining such an interface...
> Personally I am not sure that that was the greatest interface anyway,
> but it really would be great to have something _like it_.   Does anyone
> in the
> relevant W3C group have any feelings on whether they could get behind a
> good proposal to reintroduce some means of accessing at least "mostly
> processed" meta-information already parsed by the considerably better
> and faster native parser - or would it be likely to be DOA?
>
> It seems that this would drive CSS itself forward by leaps and bounds by
> making it considerably more practical to use new features in a reasonable
> time frame without unnecessarily complex gyrations by simply adding a
> good shim.

1) cssom-view != cssom

2) The main problem with doing this is how this works together with
grammar-generated parsers.

3) Inheritance, cascade, etc. will not function so there is still a lot
that would have to be implemented by scripts.

4) If we expose this we run the risk that native implementations of said
properties will start breaking sites. Basically the problem HTML is facing
whenever it wants to introduce a new attribute or element.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/