Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:59:47 +0200
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>

On Jul 21, 2011, at 12:04 , Christoph Päper wrote:
> This is what your concerns sound like to me: “We adhere to commercial font vendor demands, whether they’re sound or not. This results in complications for authors and users which don’t happen with competing browsers. To level the field, we want to require everyone to follow those restrictions. To make that more probable, we want the requirement in a specification that the others want to comply to anyway.”

It's by no means clear that the sharing of support resources without the serving site's permission should ever work. Putting any kind of support resource (by which I mean something that's needed for my site's operation but does not by itself result in visible output) so as to make my site work, is not permission for you to filch bandwidth from me by using it to support your site as well.

For historical reasons, this has not been an issue until now.  But fonts are both 'large' and often 'valuable'. Setting a mechanism in place so that fonts can be restricted so you can't filch from me is reasonable.

David Singer