Re: [css3-images] Serialization

* Brian Manthos wrote:
>Abandoning compatibility because you prefer using rgba() across the
>board seems counter to that goal -- in the form of compatibility with
>existing content and implementations.

I made a point about what should guide the design of this features based
on the design goals I am aware of and gave an example to illustrate what
that might mean in practise. How some existing constructs are serialized
is the result of various ad-hoc decisions rather than deliberate design,
and it may well be that legacy behavior is retained even though it's not
consistent with rules formulated for serializing new constructs, so I've
added that as a caveat to my example. I did not suggest to abandon com-
patibility and I did not say I prefer using `rgba` for all RGB colours.

How serialization should be defined should be a matter of what problems
are to be solved. If the problem is "I have stringified color values and
need to extract the components" then representing all RGB colours using
the `rgba` notation is likely best; if the problem is "I need to retain
as many of the syntactical choices as possible", then it's better to
represent "blue" in many different forms depending on the input. In
any case, you would be looking at actual problems and how well they are
being solved by some proposal. You would not look at "terse vs verbose".