Re: [css3-images] Serialization

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 01:27:15 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
* Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>I've been privately talking with Sylvain about the fact that Image
>Values specifies how to serialize everything defined in it, and the
>fact that the general strategy employed there (in general, be verbose
>and precise) conflicts with the approach Anne outlined in CSSOM (in
>general, omit things when possible).  Sylvain was concerned about this
>mismatch.

>I've listed serialization as a topic to discuss at the upcoming f2f,
>so we can decide on the overall strategy, both what we should do
>(terse or verbose) and where it should be defined (a central OM
>module, or in each spec).

How values are serialized would only be important if people post-process
the serialized values, so it would seem you'd optimize for that, which
would mean reducing variability. Compatibility issues aside, you'd turn
#rrggbb and rgb(...) into rgba(...) as the rgba notation is a strict su-
per set of the former two in terms of what it can represent. So I'm not
sure this is a matter of being verbose and precise versus being terse.