[css3-animations] Effect of display:none and visibility:hidden on animations

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 23:07:26 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The specification does not define what should happen for visibility:hidden or display:none. In the former case, one expects the animation to run and have the normal layout impact of a visibility:hidden element. This is the case in Webkit and Gecko.

There does not seem to be agreement for display:none yet; WebKit does not run the animation and applying display:none resets the animation. But getComputedStyle() indicates Gecko animates the specified properties when display is none.

WebKit's behavior is certainly performance-friendly; Gecko's is what I would expect though i.e. if my 2mn animation was script-based and the element had display:none for the first minute, setting display:block at the 61st second would reflect the state of the element at that point in the animation's timeline.

Thoughts ?