RE: [css3-writing-modes] bidi-style resolution of punctuation orientation

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:19:31 -0400
To: Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
> >On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:32:51 +0900, fantasai
> ><fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> >
> >> For the various pictographic and geometric symbols, what is an
> >>        appropriate setting? Should the snowman be upright or sideways?
> >>        Does this depend on CJK vs. Latin context, or is it a stylistic
> >>        preference, or does everybody just want them upright?
> >
> >I have a hard time thinking of anybody wanting them other than upright.
>
> I disagree.
>
> I think it depends on CJK vs. Latin context for sure.
>
> If I've got a string of Latin talking about winter and snowmen and stick
> one in the middle of the Latin text which is rotated 90 degrees, I'd expect
> the snowman to take on the rotation of the Latin content so it can be read
> with your head rotated sideways.

Latin text will use text-orientation: sideways-right or sideways-left[1], and in that case, every characters are rotated sideways as you wished.

The original question was when author specified text-orientation: vertical-right, which is the value for vertical scripts such as CJK, so I think what Florian said stands.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#text-orientation

Regards,
Koji