Re: [css3-writing-modes] transcript of text orientation discussion

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:09:35 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>

On Jul 13, 2011, at 16:21 , John Daggett wrote:

> I thought it was important to capture the full discussion of text orientation during the CSS WG call today so I recorded the call and wrote up this transcript of the discussion.

John

I appreciate your wish to get clarity and an accurate record, but I think need to say that making audio recordings of a call without the people on the call being aware is, at the very least, a breach of etiquette. Perhaps there is something in  the W3C or CSS documents that means participants have given general permission to be recorded (and if so, I have not found it); but even if they have, we should know when it's actually happening. If participants have not given such permission, then permission was needed, in advance, I think, and without it, no recording should have occurred.

Also, the scribing and the minutes are the record of the call (officially); if you feel that they could be improved, comments and emendations are always welcome I think.  But I don't think it helps us to have two records, one official and one unofficial.  I think it's also possible to volunteer to scribe and make minutes, if you feel, in advance of a meeting (as you clearly did here), that you would want a record that met some criteria of your own.

I am not happy with either the audio recording or the 'duplicate' (if unofficial) minutes.

David Singer