Re: [css3-speech] voice-pitch and voice-pitch-range computed values

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:13:19 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 07/13/2011 01:16 PM, Daniel Weck wrote:
> I'm with you, thank you for the clarification / enlightenment.
> But we also need the computed value to allow absolute frequencies in addition
> to the keyword enumeration (the initial value is 'medium' but it may be
> overridden with, say, "200Hz"):
>
> Computed value:
> an absolute frequency or keyword value, and potentially, a frequency,
> semitone, or percentage representing any non-zero offsets.
>
> Does that sound right?

Ah, right. So we want:

   an absolute frequency OR a keyword value and potentially also
   a frequency, semitone, and/or percentage representing any non-zero
   offsets

Basically, if the base is an absolute frequency, rather than a keyword,
then we can just perform the calculations and come up with the Hertz.
That will be the computed value.

If the base is a keyword, then we need to preserve that keyword together
with the offset. We can't represent the offset as Hz alone, because
the number of Hz corresponding to a semitone or a percent depends on
what the base frequency is -- which we can't compute right now, because
we don't know it, we only know the keyword name.

Kinda messy, huh?

~fantasai